Tuesday, November 29, 2011

White Christmas

About a month ago I found out that the Playmill Theatre company was playing Irving Berlin's White Christmas at the Colonial Theatre in Idaho Falls. I've seen the movie several times and has been a favorite but I'd never seen it on stage, so Eric and I decided to go see it. Monday night was the only night we could make it because of Thanksgiving in Nampa and Yellow Ribbon in Park City next weekend.

We made a date night out of it and went to dinner to Olive Garden with some gift cards and stuffed ourselves silly with broschetta, breadsticks, salad, beef gorgonzala, and white chocolate raspberry cheesecake. Yum it was delicious, then we somehow managed to roll ourselves over to the Colonial Theatre.

I was quite impressed with Playmill's company, for being a small company from West Yellowstone they were quite good. And funnily enough the four main characters looked a lot like the actors from the movie, especially the girl who played Judy Haynes, it was almost uncanny.

The show was a little cheesy, more so than the movie, I think Eric had a hard time swallowing it, and truthfully even I did.

My favorite part of the whole show was at the very end when it starts to "snow", it actually started to snow foam bubbles that looked a lot like snowflakes from the ceiling. At that moment I wished I was sitting smack dab in the middle of the theatre and could be covered in foam bubbles from head to foot. With the "snowflakes" floating down it looked truly magical.

But the funniest part of the whole evening happened when we were walking out of the theatre. An older woman had walked out of the theatre ahead of her husband, while he stayed behind to hold the door open for us. Well, this woman didn't realize that her husband had stayed behind to hold the door open, and when Eric walked by her, so reached her hand out to him and almost grabbed his hand before she realized that Eric was already holding hands with me and was definitely not her husband. Eric then heard the woman tell the story to her husband and laugh, while all this time I was completely oblivious to what was going on. Once we were well past them, Eric recounted what happened and we chuckled pretty hard.

Though it was a late night, it was a great night.

Here's a little clip from the movie version:


1 comment:

  1. I have a crush on White Christmas. Sometimes I watch it in July just to live on the edge.

    ReplyDelete