Tuesday, August 14, 2012

18 Week Update

18 weeks, it seems like such a large number. Just two weeks shy of the half-way mark. All at once I feel that this pregnancy has gone by very quickly, and that it will last forever.

The first four weeks of the 2nd trimester has brought its fare share of new symptoms.

Baby bump: The baby bump slowly grew until all of sudden it was visible to others, and not just myself. I've had mixed feelings about my growing baby bump. It was exciting and thrilling to see that the baby is actually growing, and buying maternity clothes is kind of exciting. But also, It kind of felt like an alien was taking over my body and changing it in undesirable ways, and I started to realize that my body as I previously knew it, is never more. Happily, spending an evening holding my adorable nephew Hudson, made me feel better about the changes. It made me feel like it will be worth it, and that there is a prize at the end. Though I'm still anxiously awaiting the "quickening" so I can feel more of a connection with this "alien" growing inside me.

Acne: Ugh. The bane of my late high school and college life has come back with a vengeance. Well I don't know if I can say "come back" because it never really left. Adult acne plagues my family, and I've grown to accept and deal with it. But I was not prepared for this volatile-level acne. It's calmed down a little as I've become more diligent with washing my face thoroughly several times a day. I'm crossing my fingers that it doesn't get any worse.

Backaches: I anticipated having lower back pain, but not this early in the game. Though I've read that if you've had lower backaches in the past, then they may be your constant companion. Well, that's me. I've always had bad lower backaches during that time of the month, and sometimes the only way to find relief is lay down. Luckily, it hasn't been that bad, but it is pretty much a constant dull ache, which quickly jabs me if I bend over. What am I, eight months prego?

Round Ligament Stretching: Those weird, jabby pains in the groin, upper thigh, and lower abdomen. Yeah there's a name for those--round ligament stretching. Now that's a mouthful. These don't really bother me, but are kind of a funny reminder that my stomach is growing and stretching.

RH Negative: So, um apparently my blood type is O-. Who, knew? I certainly didn't. I always thought I was A something. So, since my RH factor (negative or positive part of the blood type) is negative and since Eric's blood type might be (long story, that ends with the army being incompetent) positive I have to get this horrible shot in a horrible place. This means that the baby's blood type could be positive and if our two blood types were to mix at any time my body would try to attack future fetuses. Scary huh!?! So, good thing there's this shot. Too bad I HATE shots. Such is life.

But the best part is that in two weeks we get have another ultrasound to see how our baby's doing and find out the gender. Which if you've talked to me, you know how impatient I am to find out.

The one dilemma I'm having is how to have the gender news broken. Do we just have the doctor tell us and have an emotional moment mid-ultrasound? Or do we have the doctor write down the gender on a piece of paper and "open" the news privately at home after the ultrasound? I'm torn because I'm impatient to find out. But I also would like it to be a private experience, between just Eric and I. I really don't like letting strangers see my emotions. So, thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. We found out during the ultrasound. It was great because the NP that did it was very friendly. So we didn't mind one bit finding out plus we were able to video tape it and send it to our family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We found out during the ultrasound. You could always do a fun reveal type thing for family and friends. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is your ultrasound at 20 weeks? We were just so excited to find out that we didn't really mind that it was with the ultrasound tech. She kind of warned us before, like ok do you want to know what you're having now? It was still a really cool moment. I'm actually RH negative too and I had the shot at 28 weeks, and it wasn't too bad. I guess it depends how much you don't like shots. I would recommend just not looking and trying to talk to the person to distract yourself. :) But you still have awhile before you have to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, it's at 20 weeks! So, a week from tomorrow! We are so excited, and so impatient to find out. I think we'll probably just have the tech tell us, that way they'll be able to point it out to us on the screen, and I'm just super anxious. I wish we could find out earlier than 20 weeks. I'm dying! Yeah, the shot will suck, but oh well :)

    ReplyDelete