Saturday, July 27, 2013

Memorial Day Memories

Memorial Day wouldn't be Memorial Day without remembering our loved ones. Nearly every Memorial Day since my family moved back West was spent in Idaho at the Lewisville and Memorial Cemeteries. This year, we visited the Ucon cemetery with Eric's family. I love that we both have family ties in Idaho, it makes living here feel more like home. 

While Eric was deployed to Iraq, his grandpa Andrus passed away on Eric's birthday, Jan 7. At the time it seemed like such a sad thing to happen on his birthday, but I wonder now if it isn't a sweet reminder of the close bond Eric and his grandpa shared. That was a hard week, I didn't know exactly how to "be there" for Eric, especially when separated by thousands of miles. I've never been very good at handling sad news. What do you say? What can you say? 

But it's at times like these that I'm grateful that we live so close that we can go and visit and remember. I'm also grateful for Memorial Day for giving us an extra opportunity to remember, because in the daily hustle and bustle it is too easy to forget. 




I've always loved cemeteries, they are so quiet and peaceful. It's a great place to think.

Afterwards, we headed over to my Grandma Harris's for a luncheon. I love our luncheons, always a fun time to chat and catch up. Another reason I love living in Idaho Falls, we can go to nearly all these family get-togethers.



No comments:

Post a Comment